[ovirt-devel] Question about general testing

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Tue Jul 18 13:08:14 UTC 2017

On Jul 18, 2017 8:45 AM, "Greg Sheremeta" <gshereme at redhat.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2017 5:11 AM, "Eyal Edri" <eedri at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Petr Kotas <pkotas at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Marc,
>>
>> I have been working on a development environment for the oVirt. The
>> environment is basically two VMs running beside together. One runs the
>> engine, second is a host that runs the vdsm with nested virtualization.
>>  I am now working on the vagrant file with orchestration to make the
>> environment setup easier. So if You would wait for a few more days, You
>> will be able to start from my setup.
>>

> Hi Petr,
> I would advise you to look into oVirt System Tests which are already being
> used for over a year in oVirt's CI/CD flow and are continously finding real
> regressions on a weekly basis.
>

> I strongly agree here. Very strongly, let's not reinvent the wheel here.

What would be super useful is for OST (or something) to stand up an
environment at a specific commit, aka an instant development environment.
Maybe with Eclipse (Che?) ready to go right at that project state. It
sounds like Petr is trying to create something like that.

Eyal already sent instructions on how it can easily be achieved. One
Jenkins job to do the build, and then you point your repo to use its
output.
Y.

> It is used to continously test each oVirt project in CI, and continuous
> deliver it to a 'tested' repo only if it passed the system tests validation.
> The oVirt Systems tests project is getting updated also very frequently
> with new tests, which you can find here [3]
>
> We already have testing suites for 'basic install with normal engine/RHEL
> hypervisors', 'hosted engine', 'hyper converged setup with gluster', 'next
> gen node based installation'.
> In addition, we support exporting the environment and importing it, so
> basically you can bring up a complex setup once, export it and use it later
> for demo purposes or just reproducing a bug.
>
> In general, Lago also supports other distros such as Debian, Fedora and
> can be installed either with RPMs or PiP.
>

> It also supports many little features you'll end up implementing yourself,
> spare yourself the pleasure.
> Y.
>

> For more info you can read here [1][2], There are also multiple videos and
> slidedesk available on both projects if you're interested.
>

> [1] http://ovirt-system-tests.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
> [2] http://lago.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
> [3] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=ovirt-system-tests.git
> ;a=shortlog;h=refs%2Fheads%2Fmaster
>

>> As for the containers. For you to have a full test setup, you would need
>> to place a VM inside the container and run a nested virtualization inside.
>> This is what the two projects you mentioned are doing. Therefore they are
>> not that lightweight as you would like.
>>
>> I would recommend using the VM environment, which is the simplest
>> solution.
>>
>> I will send a reply again once my environment is up.
>>
>> Petr
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Greg Sheremeta <gshereme at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does ovirt-system-tests meet your needs? It can leave the VMs standing
>>> when it's done.

>>> --
>>> Greg Sheremeta, MBA
>>> Sr. Software Engineer
>>> Red Hat, Inc.
>>> gshereme at redhat.com

> Eyal edri
>

> ASSOCIATE MANAGER
>
> RHV DevOps
>
> EMEA VIRTUALIZATION R&D
>

> Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
> <https://red.ht/sig> TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>
> phone: +972-9-7692018 <+972%209-769-2018>
> irc: eedri (on #tlv #rhev-dev #rhev-integ)

Greg Sheremeta, MBA
Sr. Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.
gshereme at redhat.com