[ovirt-devel] Removal of Export Storage Domain and virt-v2v

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jun 14 13:52:56 UTC 2017

Yaniv wrote:
> And indeed, we won't deprecate it without a suitable replacement.
> While you can already upload disks, we are working towards upload/download
> of VMs.
> See
> http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/virt/enhance-import-export-with-ova/

My concern with this (if I've understood it correctly) is it's going
to be slow and require considerable extra storage on the conversion
server.

At the moment -- using NFS -- we can stream from VMware to oVirt,
requiring almost no local storage on the conversion server.

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 03:30:12PM +0300, Arik Hadas wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > Although virt-v2v can still work via the GUI, this isn't really
> > suitable for bulk, scripted upload of hundreds or thousands of VMs.
> >

> We now enable triggering that process also via REST-API (this is mostly
> intended for importing from VMware using ManageIQ, which is expected to be
> available soon).

That requires virt-v2v to be installed on the oVirt nodes so it's not
quite a replacement for what you can do with ‘virt-v2v -o rhv’ today.

Can we have a REST API so that we can upload the disk images and OVF
metadata to some directory on the NFS server (eg. an ‘/import’
directory), and then the call the REST API which would complete the
import -- ie. update the database, and move the images to their final
places (bonus points if it can handle chown-ing the images too).

> Other than that, there is a rumor about introucing a backup-data-domain.
> Hopefully, that plan will also be shared publicly and we'll know more
> details about it. If it will be close in concept to the export domain, we
> may be able to replace the export domain with that domain in virt-v2v.

Any more details of this?

Rich.