[ovirt-devel] Removal of Export Storage Domain and virt-v2v

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 15 07:45:30 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 02:52:56PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Yaniv wrote:
> > And indeed, we won't deprecate it without a suitable replacement.
> > While you can already upload disks, we are working towards upload/download
> > of VMs.
> > See
> > http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/virt/enhance-import-export-with-ova/
>
> My concern with this (if I've understood it correctly) is it's going
> to be slow and require considerable extra storage on the conversion
> server.
>
> At the moment -- using NFS -- we can stream from VMware to oVirt,
> requiring almost no local storage on the conversion server.

Thinking about this overnight, another way to do this would be to
allow the import of "OVA directories".  OVA doesn't need to be packed
into a tarball, the standard allows an OVA to be an unpacked directory
(directory containing disk images + OVF file).

Create a ‘/import’ directory on the NFS server, and allow OVA
directories to be uploaded to there.  We could stream the disk content
as now.

Then provide a REST API to import an OVA (directory) from /import on
the NFS server to complete to operation.

Rich.