[ovirt-devel] AppErrors.properties merged together

Allon Mureinik amureini at redhat.com
Wed Jun 21 06:33:07 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Allon Mureinik <amureini at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Vojtech Szocs <vszocs at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jakub, thanks for taking the effort to simplify AppErrors handling!
>>
>> The AppErrors.properties file and its localized variants should live in a
>> single location, e.g. frontend/webadmin/modules/frontend. We should
>> avoid having multiple AppErrors.properties copies spread across the
>> codebase.
>>
> Yes
>
> please!
> Why do we even have these three copies?
> I vaguely recall an explanation that there's a "default" properties file
> (the backend one?), and then the others can overrie specific keys (e.g., to
> make the user portal simpler and remove admin complexities) -  but it
> doesn't seem as though the this is how it's used.
>

>> The backend dal (data access layer) module has its own copy of
>> AppErrors.properties file. One option is to copy it from the source
>> location during Engine build, another option is to simply use symlinks.
>>
> Why
>
> do even have this file? For REST API/SDK errors?
>

>> In any case, there should be a unit test that ensures all EngineMessage
>> enum members are reflected as methods in AppErrors interface. This will
>> give us the confidence that backend EngineMessage's have proper strings
>> associated with them.
>>
> We've had
> the opposite test for quite a long time:
>
> https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine/commits/
> 0c7d7e7101142b95bd78e76be08dbb121c0c90f7/frontend/webadmin/
> modules/frontend/src/test/java/org/ovirt/engine/ui/
> frontend/AppErrorsTest.java
>
> But in indeed did's have a test for missing methods in the AppErrors
> interface.
> I tried cooking up a simple test and found that we're missing several
> hundred(!) keys, so I just carpet-bomb added them all, to be sorted out
> later:
> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/78354/
>
> However, I'm getting a weird GWT error when I try to build the application:
>
> [ERROR] Errors in 'gen/org/ovirt/engine/ui/frontend/com_gwtplatform_mvp_
> client_DesktopGinjector_DesktopGinjectorGinjector_fragment.java'
> [INFO]       [ERROR] Line 50: Failed to resolve
> 'org.ovirt.engine.ui.frontend.VdsmErrors' via deferred binding
>
> I'm obviously doing something stupid I shouldn't be doing, but I must
> admit I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
> Some advice from our residenant GWT experts (yes Vojtech, I'm pointing at
> you :-)) woul be appreciated.

The

weirest thing is that CI actually passes on this, but I get the
aforementioned error locally when I run

$ mvn clean install -Pgwt-admin -Dgwt.userAgent=safari

Now I'm sure I'm doing something stupid - just not sure what.

>> Regards,
>> Vojtech
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 8:51 PM, Jakub Niedermertl <jniederm at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> there is a patch [1] removing `AppErrors.properties` from webadmin
>>> project to simplify edits of AppErrors/EngineMessage. AppErrors.properties
>>> from webadmin project will be merged to AppErrors.properties in frontend
>>> project. This requires some manual resolutions of conflicts of translation