[ovirt-devel] AppErrors.properties merged together

Allon Mureinik amureini at redhat.com
Wed Jun 21 06:12:34 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Vojtech Szocs <vszocs at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Jakub, thanks for taking the effort to simplify AppErrors handling!
>
> The AppErrors.properties file and its localized variants should live in a
> single location, e.g. frontend/webadmin/modules/frontend. We should avoid
> having multiple AppErrors.properties copies spread across the codebase.

Yes

please!
Why do we even have these three copies?
I vaguely recall an explanation that there's a "default" properties file
(the backend one?), and then the others can overrie specific keys (e.g., to
make the user portal simpler and remove admin complexities) -  but it
doesn't seem as though the this is how it's used.

> The backend dal (data access layer) module has its own copy of
> AppErrors.properties file. One option is to copy it from the source
> location during Engine build, another option is to simply use symlinks.

Why

do even have this file? For REST API/SDK errors?

> In any case, there should be a unit test that ensures all EngineMessage
> enum members are reflected as methods in AppErrors interface. This will
> give us the confidence that backend EngineMessage's have proper strings
> associated with them.

We've had
the opposite test for quite a long time:

https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine/commits/0c7d7e7101142b95bd78e76be08dbb121c0c90f7/frontend/webadmin/modules/frontend/src/test/java/org/ovirt/engine/ui/frontend/AppErrorsTest.java

But in indeed did's have a test for missing methods in the AppErrors
interface.
I tried cooking up a simple test and found that we're missing several
hundred(!) keys, so I just carpet-bomb added them all, to be sorted out
later:
https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/78354/

However, I'm getting a weird GWT error when I try to build the application:

[ERROR] Errors in
'gen/org/ovirt/engine/ui/frontend/com_gwtplatform_mvp_client_DesktopGinjector_DesktopGinjectorGinjector_fragment.java'
[INFO]       [ERROR] Line 50: Failed to resolve
'org.ovirt.engine.ui.frontend.VdsmErrors' via deferred binding

I'm obviously doing something stupid I shouldn't be doing, but I must admit
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
Some advice from our residenant GWT experts (yes Vojtech, I'm pointing at
you :-)) woul be appreciated.