[ovirt-devel] ovirt-engine-nodejs failing build on fc26

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Wed May 31 14:38:31 UTC 2017

+1 on bumping to NodeJS v8.

According to [1] the build should pass with gcc v6, but seems that fc26
ships gcc v7 only.

[1] https://github.com/nodejs/node/issues/10388#issuecomment-283056552

The root cause is indeed an ill-formed NodeJS source code. Using older gcc
to build it isn't a proper solution.

According to [2] the NodeJS v6 "active LTS" period ends at April 2018,
however this is a build-related bug, and the GitHub issue is closed with
resolution "fixed in next v7 release" (note that v7 is not LTS).

[2] https://github.com/nodejs/LTS

Even though NodeJS v8 "active LTS" period starts at October 2017 (in ~4
months), I'm OK with us bumping to v8 now.

(If we face any problems with v8, we can "downgrade" to v7 if necessary.)

Regards,
Vojtech