[ovirt-devel] what does the vm.merge do in vdsm?

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Mon Jan 29 11:37:00 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 5:42 PM, Pen <pencc at foxmail.com> wrote:
> hi
>       what means in vdsm api merge's param "drive.volumeID" in [1]?If I want
> delete "snapshot1" in snapshot chain [3],
> "drive.volumeID" means "snapshot2" or  "active_img"? I have seen about
> document in [2], then I have a question,
> If we want delete "snapshot1" in [4], and "snapshot1" is "snapshot2"'s
> srcVolume and "snapshot3"'s srcVolume at the
> same time, what should I do? merge twice?
>

> [1]
>
> @api.method
> def merge(self, drive, baseVolUUID, topVolUUID, bandwidth=0, jobUUID=None):
>     return self.vm.merge(
>         drive, baseVolUUID, topVolUUID, bandwidth, jobUUID)
>

> [2]
> https://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/storage/live-merge/
>
> [3]
> backing_img --- snapshot1 --- snapshot2 --- active_img
>
> [4]
> backing_img --- snapshot1 --- snapshot2 --- active_img
>                      ----- snapshot3

Hi Pen,

It seems that you email has stalled for a couple of days on qq.com. I
believed that I've replied to the query you've sent from another
mailbox, under the subject line
   [ovirt-devel] How did vm.merge do when we delete a snapshot that
pointed by several other's snapshot's srcVol (as several other
snapshot's backing)

bottom line: you cannot create a topology like [4] in vdsm storage.