[Engine-devel] SharedRawDisk feature detail

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Sun Feb 12 22:06:30 UTC 2012

I started writing the changes in the email but got tired of it and just made a bunch of changes in the wiki (impossible to track in email, such things should be done using etherpad or something).

A few questions though:

plugged vs. enabled - I thought we converged on attached/detached and enabled/disabled and not plugged/unplugged?

* Shared disks are attached with R/W permissions.
- What about enabling R/O ? (esp. for stateless/pools)

* Template disks should not be shared.
- Why not? (read only)

* When exporting a VM, only the disks which are not shared will be exported.
- Why is the above not treated the same as a snapshot? the configuration will reference the shared disk as unplugged? (or will it and it's just not clear?)

I didn't touch stateless/pools but should be fixed to reflect comments on this thread.

Is Remove shared disk and Delete shared disk the same thing? if so, why the dual terminology?
I don't quite follow the logic determining which section is under functionality and which under user experience.  For example, why do you have a 'Delete shared disk' section in the Ux section but not a 'Move shared disk' section (there is no shared disk specific logic visible in the delete action UI).

* Disk name should be generated automatically based on the vm name and disk number in the VM. Description will be empty.
* New disk should enforce the user to enter a name for the disk.
- Huh? the above 2 items seem like an oxymoron, but I may be missing something...

* Attach/Detach of a shared disk can be performed only when the VM is in status 'down'.
- Why? under the functionality section you clearly stated that attaching a disk will result in it being attached but disabled...