[Engine-devel] Upstream stabilization [was: Re: agenda for today's meeting]

Jon Choate jchoate at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 16:15:27 UTC 2012

On 02/15/2012 10:26 AM, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
> Since regretfully there was no time for my topic, I'll convey it via
> email.
>
> I'd like to suggest 3 simple rules to assist in keeping the projects
> stable:
> 1. If you've broken the Jenkins automated tests, provide a fix ASAP.
> 2. Don't fix what's ain't broken.
> 3. Follow rules 1 & 2 at all times.
>
> Thanks,
> Y.

Since we are engineers we can start numbering at zero:

0. Don't push anything that you know will cause test failures or won't
compile.

Every commit point is publicly available and any member of the community
might grab oVirt at your broken commit point.  When they fail to build
it makes the project look unprofessional and immature.

+1 to #1
-1 to #2 - code needs to be fluid and flexible.  A bias against
proactive refactoring tends to lead to code that is brittle and
eventually unmaintainable.

I'd like to add to that:

If you give at patch the verified flag this implies that you have:
  1. pulled the patch locally and ensured that it builds
  2. have run all the unit tests and ensure that they all pass

If either of these are not true, you need to give the patch "-1 Fails"
If you don't do this you are as much to blame as the author.