[Engine-devel] Low Level design for HotPlug/HotUnplug feature

Michael Kublin mkublin at redhat.com
Mon Jan 9 14:04:44 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Thanks
> >> 2. Missing/questions:
> >> - Permissions? Quota?
Regards Quota - has not influence on the feature
> >> - Explain how disk is created in the first place.
The disk is added to VM by AddDiskToVMCommand, by default is is plugged
> >> - Database (tables, etc.)
They are in design
> >> - Which cluster level is required?
Added to design , it is 3.1
> >> - Is it an async or sync task?
Sync
> >> - Can you plug a system disk?
No
> >> - Can you unplug multiple at a time?
Yes, we have not such limitation, the sane is to plug.
> >> - What happens when you plug too many?
We allow to plug disk which were attached to vm , by AddDiskToVmCommand, a max number of allowed disks is handled there
> >> - How do you determine where (PCI bus-wise) to plug them?
As I think, the PCI address will be added to most devices at Stable PCI device addresses feature, I will use it
> >> - Any CanDoAction to allow/disallow plug/unplug from specific
> >> systems?
The operation will be allowed only for RHEL 5/6, Windows Server 2003 and Windows server 2008 operating systems, added to design
> >> - I suspect we'd be happier with some agent cooperation before
> >> unplugging - is this done by QEMU? Not detailed anywhere.
I will check this
> >> - Link to KVM/QEMU feature description for it, if such exist,
> >> would be
> >> nice.
> >> - Does it affect taking a snapshot? Live or not?
No, all disk will be passed to snapshots as is
> >> - Does it affect exporting a VM? I reckon you export with all
> >> disks,
> >> with their plug/unplug status?
This one I need to check
> > In addition:
> >  - will you allow it during live migration (qemu allows it)?
I don't see any technical limitation from my side, but I will check
> >  - Are you expecting events to pop?
> >  - You call it 'hotplug' but mention only disk device, what about
> >    memory/cpu/ any other pci card?
The pci card it is another feature, in current version we have only hotplug / unplug for disks and pci card
> >  - How do you define a system disk? Some VM may boot from
> >    pxe/nfsroot/etc
I had a property on the disk which means System, also I have a property that means bootable. I suppose that
disk can not be plugged/unplugged with any of them
> >  - It should be a nice to have to check if the guest mounts any FS
> >    within the disk to be un hot pluged and warn the user
Need to be check

> In addition - 2 :
>
> - plugged/unplugged  disk is a VM property not disk's. (this of a
> shared
> disk that can be plugged in one VM but unplugged in another)
Ok. I will update design