[Engine-devel] Low Level design for HotPlug/HotUnplug feature

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Mon Jan 9 15:44:25 UTC 2012

<snip>

On 09/01/12 16:04, Michael Kublin wrote:

> [...]

The storage quota enforcement is upon storage creation not disk plug.

> The disk is added to VM by AddDiskToVMCommand, by default is is plugged

- The disk can be created as part of the VM or as a floating disk.
- The disk has a property if it is plugged to the VM or not (VM-DISK
relation property)
- If the disk is created as a VM disk and it is marked as plugged the
engine should try to hot plug the disk when the disk is created (if the
VM is running), if it fails the disk should be left unplugged.

> They are in design
> Added to design , it is 3.1

3.1 cluster or DC?

Ayal - is there a storage limitation or can we activate this feature for
any 3.1 cluster?

> Sync
> No
> Yes, we have not such limitation, the sane is to plug.

The engine does not have a single verb for plugging multiple disk in one
action.

> We allow to plug disk which were attached to vm , by AddDiskToVmCommand, a max number of allowed disks is handled there

> As I think, the PCI address will be added to most devices at Stable PCI device addresses feature, I will use it

The engine learns the device address from VDSM (given by libvirt), it is
not editable by the user or the engine at this phase.

> The operation will be allowed only for RHEL 5/6, Windows Server 2003 and Windows server 2008 operating systems, added to design
> I will check this
> No, all disk will be passed to snapshots as is

snapshot includes unplugged disks, part of the snapshot is the VM
configuration which includes for each disk if it is plugged or not.

> This one I need to check

Export includes all (non-shared) disks and their status.