[Engine-devel] oVirt UI Plugins feature: Ready for review

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Jul 4 17:25:11 UTC 2012

On 06/25/2012 10:11 PM, Costea, George wrote:
> Thanks Vojtech.
>
> Since the plugins are embedded into the WebAdmin HTML page, that seems to simplify things; no external web service is needed.  This approach ties into the issue over the freedom to decide which technology to use when developing a plugin.  While I agree that jQuery is best for simple dialogs, a wizard-driven workflow is easier to develop in GWT.
>
> For example, if I want to step a user through the process of creating a new storage domain I would like to provide a workflow to select a storage array, provide credentials, and configure the details of the NFS export.  This workflow could presumably have a GWT-RPC mechanism that relies on some additional libraries on the backend (libraries that allow me to communicate with the storage array).  Using the GWT-Exporter, I could export the classes that would display the workflow which would then get launched as my extension is selected.  You said that I would have my oVirt UI plugin depend on my compiled 'plugin support application'.  My compiled plugin support application would normally be a war file containing my compiled GWT code and a web-inf folder containing my libraries.  Is the plugin depending on the war file?  Is that what I specify?
>
> -George

reviewed the wiki, some notes:
1. nit: plugin is in  {} - should only be function call there so not all
of plugin needs such a deep indentation.
2. what are deps?
3. sorting/ordering of plugins. either part of their conf, or part of
their name (nn-pluginname...) which is a normal linux convention
4. Proposed configuration file location: /etc/ovirt/webadmin
add /extensions
5. events - should have before and after event calls
6. missing in api - api to perform a rest call (say using json)
7. future: provide a javascript sdk like the python one, rather than
just a rest api level integration - not sure worth the hassle
8. reminder - extensions need can't use internal API, only the REST API.
    this goes to *entities* as well - either you expose a REST-like
    entity for the important fields, or we start moving parts of the UI
    to the REST entities to match (I'm not sure you want to go with
    latter yet, as it is a huge undertaking, but you need to expose
    matching entities to begin with, or extensions will break on upgrade
    since internal entities aren't backward compatible.

to sum it up:
ui plugins must get an SDK of what they can do, which will include
entry points, entities and relevant methods.
UI code should be as simple as possible to write for the main use cases
(i.e., i think the SDK should provide very simple objets for adding
subtabs, context menu items, etc.) - right now it is very java script
oriented.