[Engine-devel] alias in disk instead of name

Michael Pasternak mpastern at redhat.com
Sun Oct 21 13:48:46 UTC 2012

On 10/21/2012 03:36 PM, Simon Grinberg wrote:

> [...]

they do, otherwise /search wasn't effective, remember users not
exposed to entity id, all entities fetched by-name, so names has to
be unique.

> thus it should not be enforced.
> What would be the auto naming conversion to ensure uniqueness with plain text?

not sure i follow, i'll assume you refer here to empty name, - you cannot have an
entity with no name.

> Would you change these on import/export?

would you mind elaborating on this?

> And so on...
>
> You should treat the name as a tag/alias that if you bothered to update, probably means something to you, if not then you don't care anyhow and will not search by it anyhow. So it's up to the user what to assign.

simon, we do not have any /name today in disk, you see it in api
for backward compatibility, actually it's emulated over /alias,

and the problem is when want to search by-name, it's not included
in backend search.

--

Michael Pasternak
RedHat, ENG-Virtualization R&D