[Engine-devel] Splitting out the oVirt engine installer

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 09:13:18 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Hello Derek,

I re-wrote the vdsm-bootstrap, it was very complex and contained much legacy.

It turned out that the vdsm-bootstrap and the engine-setup/engine-upgrade has a lot in common.

So it is actually a base to any installer.

In short:
---
It is fully plugin, task oriented implementation.
Compatible with python-2.6, python-2.7, python-3.2
Fully localized enabled.
Single session interaction, no file transfer.
Local and remote execution modes are supported.
Distribution independent implementation (core).
---

The mission is to make it easy as much as possible to add new functionality without the complexity of the state and transaction management. If you look at the plugins directories, you will find the business logic, which is about 98% pure.

At the core of the implementation there is environment dictionary and a flow of stages within plugins. The environment can be modified using command-line parameters, configuration file, or dialog customization.

At the bottom of this message there is a sample of the dialog between manager and installer.

Although not 100% complete, I will be happy to receive any comment, suggestion and rejections.

A snapshot of development sources are available at[1].

I will be happy to receive your feedback!

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.

[1] https://github.com/alonbl/ovirt-installer