[Engine-devel] oVirt Engine GUI: builders infrastructure - meeting minutes

Einav Cohen ecohen at redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 17:17:59 UTC 2013

- Problem and proposed solution in a nutshell:

   * we have a lot of duplication in the GUI code that can be eliminated
using the builders infrastructure, which attempts to solve the problem by breaking
down the logic to "atomic" particles, which can be (re)used as necessary.

   * Tomas came up with the solution when planning the implementation of the GUI code
for the new Instance Types and Images [1] business entities (which are VM-related
business entities, and the VM-related GUI code already have a lot of code
duplication), when he realized that additional code duplication would have
to be introduced unless some kind of new infrastructure/refactoring will be done.

- Inheritance?

   * Code duplication exists across the entire GUI code, not only in the VM-related
parts of it. It seems that an inheritance solution in the Networking code has already
been introduced by Alona, and is possibly applicable to VM-related code as well.

   * Tomas has already tried the inheritance approach, however the result hasn't
introduced a significant improvement to the current state of the code.

   * Derez/Alona will help Tomas with trying to figure out the most
"correct" way to solve the code-duplication problem by inheritance.

   * If it will be concluded that an inheritance solution is not feasible, we will
think of an alternative (builders, something else, stay with code duplication(???)),
but we would really like to try and utilize the code inheritance, as it is already
successfully used in other parts of the GUI code that had similar problems.

- Need to keep in mind potential future plans for the GUI code:

   * moving to REST API business entities and REST API in general [Java(script?) SDK]

   * eliminating some entity models, and binding the view directly to the REST API
business entities (possibly using decorators?). Need to keep in mind that a lot
of the models will still need to be retained, e.g. since they are stateful (e.g. list model
holds selected item(s)).

   * grouping several queries together, allowing to load data into a dialog, for
example, in a single "bulk", rather than calling 20 different queries (New VM dialog
and alike are the most painful - can take a lot of time to load, especially on WAN).

- I would like to thank:

   * Tomas for his excellent presentation of the problem and the
builders infrastructure solution (slides attached).

   * All other participants in the meeting for taking the time
to listen, express their opinion and helping Tomas in this issue.

[Participants: feel free to add to/amend the above as necessary]

----
Best Regards,
Einav

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Instance_Types