[Engine-devel] Move SQL out of stored procedures

Laszlo Hornyak lhornyak at redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 15:31:34 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Usually companies have one database and they are trying to stick to that one. Having two doubles the resource needs, you need one more DBA team, care for mirrors, backups. So it almost doubles the costs.
This is why I frequently hear people asking if we plan to support XyDB in the future. PostgreSQL is cool, but those who already use MySQL/MariaDB, they just do not want one more.

> What is the future of PostgreSQL?
>
> 2. Is it decided by architectural board, what kind of databases we
> would
> like to support? (cannot support any db)

With a JPA we could support most mainstream relational databases, but in my opinion 99 percent of people run oracle, mysql/mariadb or postgresql. So maybe we do not have to think in big number of database engines.
This is theoretical since JPA is still on wishlist :(