[Engine-devel] [ANN] Development environment and Gentoo packaging (preview)

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 23:37:44 UTC 2013

Hello All,

We[1] are working to rewrite the current installer to something more portable and flexible.

Currently two milestones had been reached:
1. Ability to install almost fully functioning ovirt-engine at $HOME for development environment.
2. Porting ovirt-engine to run on different distribution, Gentoo.

We will be glad to receive feedback on either.

Code is located at github[2] for now, at otopi branch.

Instructions for setting up development environment are available[3].

Gentoo overlay for live ebuilds is available[4], the following packages are valid:
 - app-emulation/otopi
 - app-emulation/ovirt-host-deploy
 - app-emulation/ovirt-jboss-bin
 - app-emulation/ovirt-engine

Why Gentoo first? because source based distributions demands the highest level of customization, solving the complex issue ease to continue porting to binary based distributions.

Please remember that this is work in progress, and not guarantee to be stable or even work... The installer was re-written from scratch so expect issues at this point.

Any feedback is welcomed, we are focusing first in providing the functionality of the existing installer to be able to replace it entirely before going into new adventures.

Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.

[1] Alex Lourie, Sandro Bonazzola, Alon Bar-Lev
[2] https://github.com/alonbl/ovirt-engine
[3] https://github.com/alonbl/ovirt-engine/blob/otopi/README.developer
[4] https://github.com/alonbl/ovirt-overlay