[Engine-devel] Cloud-Init integration

Oved Ourfalli ovedo at redhat.com
Fri Mar 29 13:18:13 UTC 2013

----- Laszlo Hornyak <lhornyak at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Cool feature :) Some questions:
> - Maybe the IP (and probably the hostname) should be enforced to be unique on the same network? Or at least warning if duplicates found?
If we will persist it then we can warn for duplicated, but looks like cloud init is mainly used for one time initialization, so in that case we won't persist it, thus we won't have this information in the engine.

> - Let's say if the IP is set by cloud-init, then you may also have it in the guest agent info if the guest agent is installed. This may make life a bit more difficult for the developers who build on rest-api. Is there a nice solution for this?
Can you elaborate on that? What would be hard on developers?

> - for authorized keys, it would be a pain to copy-paste the public key each time you install a guest. Could a default be stored let's say in the user's data?

We might store those in the engine, allowing users to select one they have permissions on. Not sure we would do it in the first phase, though.

> - the hostname set for the guest could default to the VM name?

That can indeed be nice.