Ovirt blogs

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Feb 8 21:34:26 UTC 2012

On 02/08/2012 08:45 AM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 11:15:43AM -0800, Karsten 'quaid' Wade
> wrote:
>> On 02/03/2012 02:31 AM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
>>> I saw the new wiki page with ovirt blogs and was thinking how
>>> I would follow them. Then I thought about how I follow most
>>> other blogs and that's through planets
>>> (http://planet.{gentoo,debian,centos}.org). What are your
>>> opinions on setting up http://planet.ovirt.org?
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I've gotten partially through setting up a Python-based planet
>> tool before, but it can't be that hard, can it?
> I've quickly set up a PoC on http://planet-ovirt.ekohl.nl using
> venus (which is python-based) with the default template and a
> minimal config. It seems to be very easy to set up and if you like
> it I'll see if I can make some simple oVirt theme.

That's great! Regarding theme, we can also get some tips from Máirín
Duffy; I think she's worked on the Fedora planet theme as well as the
oVirt work so far.

Although Venus isn't in the EPEL repository, the Fedora Infrastructure
team packages it since they use it on planet.fedoraproject.org:

http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/6/x86_64/venus-bzrrev86-2.el6.noarch.rpm

So I want to give you a shell account and sudo access to make this
happen on linode01.ovirt.org. How comfortable are you with that? Are
you familiar with admining a Fedora/Red Hat-based machine?

For example, we need to make a yum repo file for that repository, then
do an install of that package, find where the files are, and drop in
the work you've done.

We can also have you just do the parts you are comfortable with, if
you prefer. That may include just handing it off to me to put in place. :)

We also don't have a process to pass out ssh+sudo. I've been being a
bad example by just giving it to a few @redhat.com people who I have a
trust relationship with through mutual employer. My inclination is to
trust Ewoud, but I really don't think I should be giving out shell
and/or root access without some approval process from this entire team.

The best example I know of shared community infrastructure is the
Fedora Infrastructure team. It's a 24x7 group with only two Red Hat
staffers, infrastructure on donated hosts worldwide, and a great
process for bringing people in. They've segmented the work enough that
a new person can be given some proving-tasks - mainly to show that
they will follow through to get something done. It's OK to not have
the skills to start, one has to be willing to learn and be persistent.

Thoughts?

- - Karsten
- --
name:  Karsten 'quaid' Wade, Sr. Community Architect
team:    Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership
uri:              http://communityleadershipteam.org
                         http://TheOpenSourceWay.org
gpg:                                        AD0E0C41