Ovirt blogs

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+ovirt at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Wed Feb 8 23:02:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 01:34:26PM -0800, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> That's great! Regarding theme, we can also get some tips from Máirín
> Duffy; I think she's worked on the Fedora planet theme as well as the
> oVirt work so far.

That would be nice, I'm not really the graphical hero so to speak ;)

> Although Venus isn't in the EPEL repository, the Fedora Infrastructure
> team packages it since they use it on planet.fedoraproject.org:
>
> http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/6/x86_64/venus-bzrrev86-2.el6.noarch.rpm
>
> So I want to give you a shell account and sudo access to make this
> happen on linode01.ovirt.org. How comfortable are you with that? Are
> you familiar with admining a Fedora/Red Hat-based machine?

At my daytime job we run CentOS so should be familiar enough.

> For example, we need to make a yum repo file for that repository, then
> do an install of that package, find where the files are, and drop in
> the work you've done.
>
> We can also have you just do the parts you are comfortable with, if
> you prefer. That may include just handing it off to me to put in place. :)
>
> We also don't have a process to pass out ssh+sudo. I've been being a
> bad example by just giving it to a few @redhat.com people who I have a
> trust relationship with through mutual employer. My inclination is to
> trust Ewoud, but I really don't think I should be giving out shell
> and/or root access without some approval process from this entire team.

Since it's all static files generated through a cronjob there's, other
than the initial apache configuration, no need for root to maintain it.

> The best example I know of shared community infrastructure is the
> Fedora Infrastructure team. It's a 24x7 group with only two Red Hat
> staffers, infrastructure on donated hosts worldwide, and a great
> process for bringing people in. They've segmented the work enough that
> a new person can be given some proving-tasks - mainly to show that
> they will follow through to get something done. It's OK to not have
> the skills to start, one has to be willing to learn and be persistent.

http://fosdem.org/2012/schedule/event/wikimedia_infra was the FOSDEM
talk I was quite impressed with. The wikimedia approach: all
configuration through puppet, puppet repo is in git and through gerrit
code reviews you could suggest infra changes. They have a mixed team as
well with a small staff and a community.

Now I have no clue how the machine is set up now and keeping things like
the HTTPS private key files private might be a challenge, but I think it
would fit nicely since there's already gerrit for the other projects. On
the other hand, we don't need to fully puppetize the setup to take
advantage of it.