Outage Update - www.ovirt.org and gerrit.ovirt.org

Eyal Edri eedri at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 09:13:34 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Well, it was suggested on jenkins mailing lists and irc channel as a good quick solution for monitoring system jobs.
It has numerous plugins that can suit all sorts of administration tasks.

Jenkins has an option of monitoring an external job (like cron jobs) [1], so that can be used also.
also, found this interesting blog about using jenkins for system tasks [2].

Can't say if using jenkins is better than having a nagios/cacti or any other monitoring service,
i guess it should be considered as one more option to solve the monitoring problem.

IMO i don't think puppet is a replacement for nagios/monitoring, it's more a tool to make sure
all your severs are aligned to your needs (rpms/repos/services running,etc...).

[1] https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Monitoring+external+jobs
[2] http://morgajel.net/2011/12/12/1108

Eyal.