[Engine-devel] Proposal for new commit msg design for engine commits

David Caro Estevez dcaroest at redhat.com
Fri Aug 23 10:00:38 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Agree, that's why I suggested triggering it from a comment message. But that
will require the developer another step after pushing.

> 2. The metadata within sources are the mean to automate the list of tests
> related to a specific source without human interaction on each commit.

The drawbacks are:
 - It needs a lot of maintenance
 - It require very modular code and
 - Locks the developer on which tests he want to run

> 3. If there is doubt from list of tests run them all, this is simple rule for
> automation.

Of course, but if there is too much doubt all that maintenance is useless.

> 4. The metadata within files are not the only way to order tests, one can do
> this manually via jenkins or any other mean as one can now.

As with any other solution.

> 5. The metadata within files will help us to achieve other targets, such as
> automatic CC maintainers, verify that +2/-2 are set by authorized maintainer
> of component etc...

That's true, but I think that maybe putting metadata in each file is overkilling.
One file in the root of the repo with a few lines should be enough for that afaik.

> 6. Gerrit 2.6 supports labels[1] which are actually what you are trying to
> achieve using the commit message because of lack of other solutions.

They are not fit for that, at least yet.

> Until we have metadata within source, and we don't as we void discuss this
> for long time, and try to find manual workarounds and solutions.

Or until we have tags in the messages, for the same reasons. Don't forget that
metadata within source is also a 'manual workaround or solution', as someone has
to maintain all the metadata in all the files/directories (maybe for that purpose
will be better to have just one file with all that metadata, depending on which
level of granularity we need to map all the files).

> Add label for each test, this will allow ordering tests via the gerrit web
> interface post submit.

Adding a comment will too.

> After people start to do this over and over and over and over they will
> appreciate the need to add metadata into the source tree.

I think that having to maintain metadata in all the files is way more annoying,
but yes, as you say adding metadata to each file gives a lot more information,
but only if it's up to date.

> In future, if this works out we can help gerrit to improve by enhancing the
> labels into free text/combo box etc...
> Or maybe try to do this now if you like to help out gerrit to improve...

That will make labels fit our purpose, and avoid having to add tags, metadata
and all that, but it's not done yet. I'll gladly add that feature, but I'm not
familiar with java or gerrit code, so I might not be the best person to do it,
I'm sure that it will take a lot more time for me than the other options (Eyal,
any comment?). If you are fluent with java and you want to help you are very
welcome :)

David