[Engine-devel] Proposal for new commit msg design for engine commits

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Fri Aug 23 10:19:01 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

One time maintenance compared to per patch.
Easier to enforce project policy, than relay on developer's policy.

>  - It require very modular code and

Right, we require this anyway.

>  - Locks the developer on which tests he want to run

As I wrote, it locks nothing, it is the baseline.

> > 3. If there is doubt from list of tests run them all, this is simple rule
> > for
> > automation.
>
> Of course, but if there is too much doubt all that maintenance is useless.

So you suggest we run partial? based on whose decision? can we trust him?

> > 4. The metadata within files are not the only way to order tests, one can
> > do
> > this manually via jenkins or any other mean as one can now.
>
> As with any other solution.

Right, because of that I do not think this is emergency.
Just have jenkins jobs and people can order tests based on gerrit urls...

> > 5. The metadata within files will help us to achieve other targets, such as
> > automatic CC maintainers, verify that +2/-2 are set by authorized
> > maintainer
> > of component etc...
>
> That's true, but I think that maybe putting metadata in each file is
> overkilling.
> One file in the root of the repo with a few lines should be enough for that
> afaik.

The metadata model I suggested was within each source and within directory.
The collection is metadata of source + recursive meta data of directories.

At file put signature.
At directory put a file, such as .ovirt.metadata with same fields.

> > 6. Gerrit 2.6 supports labels[1] which are actually what you are trying to
> > achieve using the commit message because of lack of other solutions.
>
> They are not fit for that, at least yet.

So maybe better if we can help gerrit to improve[1]?

[1] http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=2085

> > Until we have metadata within source, and we don't as we void discuss this
> > for long time, and try to find manual workarounds and solutions.
>
> Or until we have tags in the messages, for the same reasons. Don't forget
> that
> metadata within source is also a 'manual workaround or solution', as someone
> has
> to maintain all the metadata in all the files/directories (maybe for that
> purpose
> will be better to have just one file with all that metadata, depending on
> which
> level of granularity we need to map all the files).

I think best is to spread metadata within the entire tree, as then maintainer of file control the metadata, if file is copied/duplicated/moved/renamed it keeps the metadata.

> > Add label for each test, this will allow ordering tests via the gerrit web
> > interface post submit.
>
> Adding a comment will too.

So why relay on commit message, you can just ask people to comment:

OVIRT_ORDER_TEST: test1

> > After people start to do this over and over and over and over they will
> > appreciate the need to add metadata into the source tree.
>
> I think that having to maintain metadata in all the files is way more
> annoying,
> but yes, as you say adding metadata to each file gives a lot more
> information,
> but only if it's up to date.

Just like claiming that the source is out of date.
If there is a mistake in metadata the maintainer will detect that when metadata is used.

> > In future, if this works out we can help gerrit to improve by enhancing the
> > labels into free text/combo box etc...
> > Or maybe try to do this now if you like to help out gerrit to improve...
>
> That will make labels fit our purpose, and avoid having to add tags, metadata
> and all that, but it's not done yet. I'll gladly add that feature, but I'm
> not
> familiar with java or gerrit code, so I might not be the best person to do
> it,
> I'm sure that it will take a lot more time for me than the other options
> (Eyal,
> any comment?). If you are fluent with java and you want to help you are very
> welcome :)

You can help in making the metadata into the tree.
This will be a great step forward.

Thanks,
Alon