Proposal for hosting our own set of modules

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+ovirt at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Mon Jun 23 14:42:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 04:30:55PM +0200, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so following the discussion on puppet module, I would propose that we
> create a new infra-puppet-modules module on gerrit.
>
> The division between this module and the current one would be like
> this :
>
> infra-puppet would hold the manifests, the site, the Puppetfile , etc
>
> infra-puppet-modules would hold directories, 1 per module we develop
> (not the external one we use, they would still be on github or anywhere,
> pulled by librarian-puppet) .
>
> Since we are using librarian-puppet
> ( https://github.com/rodjek/librarian-puppet ) and r10k

We're only using r10k, not librarian-puppet.

> ( https://github.com/adrienthebo/r10k ) , it requires use to have the
> modules/ directory to be managed by librarian-puppet. In turn we need to
> have the modules in git, we can address them by path:
>
>   mod "puppetlabs/apt",
>     :git => "git://github.com/fake/puppet-modules.git",
>     :path => "modules/apt"
>

> This wouldn't requires to change much, besides adding the module to Puppetfile and creating a git repository.
>
> If no one disagree, I will request the git repository.
>
> ( in the mean time, i did create a sample awstats repository for stats.ovirt.org, so we can have something to push )

Unless we plan to make them reusable for other projects, I don't see the
benefit. If we do plan to make them reusable, we should IMHO also
publish them on the forge.

Another potential issue is how we decide when to deploy. We could have a
specific commit ID and update our Puppetfile every time, but again,
little benefit over having them in one tree.

In case you're unaware, we already load modules/* (which is managed by
r10k) and site/* (tracked in git). That means we can host our modules in
site and spit off when they are reusable.

And if we do plan on creating modules repos, I'd be in favor of having
one git repo per puppet module since that is what most people would
expect.