About merging patches without tests

David Caro dcaroest at redhat.com
Thu May 15 16:46:09 UTC 2014

Hi!

From time to time we have some patches that are merged to master branches
without having been tested mostly because the developer merges before having any
response from the jenkins system.

Merging one of those patches makes any following test run on that branch to
fail, and creating a lot of noise and trouble around all patches and jobs.

So I wanted to stat a little discussion to bring up ideas on how to prevent
that. Some random thoughts:

* -1 the patch at jenkins job start, and reset to 0 on success or infra failure,
and keep -1 if jenkins failure
* Only send a message to the patch with 'jenkins jobs started'
* Setup zuul as gateway, and make it block the patches if they do not pass the tests

Cheers!
--
David Caro

Red Hat S.L.