About merging patches without tests

David Caro dcaroest at redhat.com
Fri May 16 08:37:00 UTC 2014

On Fri 16 May 2014 09:33:44 AM CEST, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
> Il 15/05/2014 18:46, David Caro ha scritto:
>> Hi!
>>
>> From time to time we have some patches that are merged to master branches
>> without having been tested mostly because the developer merges before having any
>> response from the jenkins system.
>>
>> Merging one of those patches makes any following test run on that branch to
>> fail, and creating a lot of noise and trouble around all patches and jobs.
>>
>> So I wanted to stat a little discussion to bring up ideas on how to prevent
>> that. Some random thoughts:
>>
>> * -1 the patch at jenkins job start, and reset to 0 on success or infra failure,
>> and keep -1 if jenkins failure
>> * Only send a message to the patch with 'jenkins jobs started'
>
> I think that something like "jenkins jobs started, please don't merge until they finish" should be enough.
>
>> * Setup zuul as gateway, and make it block the patches if they do not pass the tests
>>

>> Cheers!

Usually the flow is reabase -> submit, that is done pretty easily from
the ui, and it does not give too much time to check any comments (the
rebase and submit buttons are on the top, and the comments show at the
end).
So doing that will not help on that case, as the developer would not
see the comment before submitting. I think we should block, at least
for a couple minutes, so he has to read the comments to be able to
submit.

We had that before also, adding a comment when the jobs start, but we
removed it by developers request iirc
--
David Caro

Red Hat S.L.