Erroneous cherry-pick through UI

Eyal Edri eedri at redhat.com
Tue Dec 8 14:21:03 UTC 2015

David,

do you know if gerrit has config option to control what will appear in the
auto-complete dropdown list when choosing a branch to pick?
its either a bug in gerrit, which shouldn't cherry pick into refs/tags or
he can't handle tag == branch name.

Yevgeny,
can you try opening a bug on it? [1]
also, you might want to look in the change log [2] since we are not running
the latest version.

[1] https://code.google.com/p/gerrit/issues/list
[2] we are using 2.10.3.1. latest is
https://gerrit-documentation.storage.googleapis.com/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotes-2.11.5.html

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Yevgeny Zaspitsky <yzaspits at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Yesterday cherry-picked one of my patches from master branch to
> ovirt-engine-3.6.1 through the Gerrit UI (
> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/50039/).
> Then I've figured the Gerrit has pushed my new commit under
> /ref/tags/ovirt-engine-3.6 rather than ovirt-engine-3.6.1 branch, so CI
> doesn't run on that nor it could be merged.
> Needless to say that I didn't meant to push a change to ovirt-engine-3.6.1
> tag and chose the branch from the list that UI offered to me and that
> appeared as "ovirt-engine-3.6.1" in the UI.
> Today I've cherry-picked the patch manually and this worked as expected.
>
> IMHO Gerrit should be configured in the way that prevents such mistakes,
> either by filtering out tags from the offered list or by not using branch
> names as tags.
>
> Regards,
> Yevgeny

Eyal Edri
Supervisor, RHEV CI
EMEA ENG Virtualization R&D
Red Hat Israel

phone: +972-9-7692018
irc: eedri (on #tlv #rhev-dev #rhev-integ)