Actively triggering of CI jobs

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Tue Dec 8 15:16:30 UTC 2015

> I was thinking, maybe it would be better if we will explicitly require to
> run the CI jobs when we push patches.. then only when the developer will
> need the job's feedback it will be activated. no redundant jobs will run,
> and we will wait much less for the jobs to finish when we will actually need
> them.

It seems to me that it will me too easy to forget to run the CI this way.

There is another way though - To make the jobs do a lot less work.
Most anything has to do what what actually happens in CI resides in
the project`s automation directory now days (see [1]).  If you want to
make CI smarter so it will not do things it shouldn't be doing, all
you need to do is customize the automation scripts to be smarter and
run only the needed tests for the files that were changed by the
patch.

[1]: http://www.ovirt.org/CI/Build_and_test_standards

--
Barak Korren