new Jenkins VM in PHX lab

Eyal Edri eedri at redhat.com
Wed Feb 10 08:09:54 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Nadav Goldin <ngoldin at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I installed yesterday a fresh Jenkins VM in the PHX datacenter at
> jenkins.phx.ovirt.org running centos 7.2, few details:
> 1. It is puppetized, but still needs some verification[1], I was able to
> auto-generate the plugins list from jenkins.ovirt.org into the puppet
> manifest, so it has exactly the same plugins installed. the concept might
> also work for future migrations we do between the instances.
> 2. the jenkins data directory is 500gb configured with lvm and xfs. I was
> able to do "live" storage incrase by adding a new volume to the LVM group
> in the following procedure:
>
>    -  created new virtio volume in the VM from phx-engine
>    -  fdisk /dev/vdd then: n -> p -> 1 -> enter -> enter -> t -> 8e -> w
>    -  vgextend jenkins_lvm /dev/vdd1
>    -  lvextend /dev/mapper/jenkins_lvm-data -L28G
>    -  xfs_growfs /dev/mapper/jenkins_lvm-data
>
> I was unable to increase the volume size from the engine, and then
> increase the partition size(only create a new partition on the same volume
> with the new increased space in the volume), not sure if that is possible.

We need to allocate it enough memory & cpu as well, if the current
hypervisors can't support it, we need to move another hypervisor into the
production DC.

> 3. authentication - same as jenkins.ovirt.org for now: self enrol and
> adding permissions(ping me)

For now might be OK, but we need to think if we want to change it before
the migration, SSO will probably take time to implement so I wouldn't block
on it.

> 4. there is much more configuration that needs to be done to make it
> functional, but i guess we can start by testing it :)
> [1] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/53309/

Indeed. one thing we need to make sure it to yamelize all the jobs that are
not in yaml yet, before the migration.

I also created a ticket [1], so lets continue tracking progress there.

[1] https://ovirt-jira.atlassian.net/browse/OVIRT-401

Eyal Edri
Associate Manager
EMEA ENG Virtualization R&D
Red Hat Israel

phone: +972-9-7692018
irc: eedri (on #tlv #rhev-dev #rhev-integ)