new Jenkins VM in PHX lab

Anton Marchukov amarchuk at redhat.com
Wed Feb 10 09:20:19 UTC 2016

Hello All.

Please check how it is implemented on "resources". We just need to allocate
a separate shared disk for storing data and mount it into /var/lib/jenkins.
This disk should not have any partitions just be plain /dev/vdb or whatever
block device. I think we really do not needed to grow the root file system
as once it is puppetized and "data" disk is made sharable it is easy to
provision another vm and make it use the same data. Providing we leave
enough space in root that should be enough to go I think.

To grow that data disk you increase it's size in UI and then do resizefs or
whatever tool for your filesystem is and that's it. No downtime and no
extra abstractions like LVM or whatever. Even no parameters to resizefs as
it determines the block device size itself. Completely error proof. And
running "fdisk" is dangerous operation to my opinion as you can easily mess
it up.

This is my opinion of cause, but resources already uses that schema.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Barak Korren <bkorren at redhat.com> wrote:

> > able to do "live" storage incrase by adding a new volume to the LVM
> group in
> > the following procedure:
> >
> >  created new virtio volume in the VM from phx-engine
> >  fdisk /dev/vdd then: n -> p -> 1 -> enter -> enter -> t -> 8e -> w
> >  vgextend jenkins_lvm /dev/vdd1
> >  lvextend /dev/mapper/jenkins_lvm-data -L28G
> >  xfs_growfs /dev/mapper/jenkins_lvm-data
> >
> > I was unable to increase the volume size from the engine, and then
> increase
> > the partition size(only create a new partition on the same volume with
> the
> > new increased space in the volume), not sure if that is possible.
> >
> You forgot the 1st thing we told you - "don't create partitions on the
> disk"...
> Instead the whole disk '/dev/vdX' should be formatted as a PV, then you can
> grow it from the engine and then 'pvresize' followed by 'lvresize'.
>

> --
> Barak Korren
> bkorren at redhat.com
> RHEV-CI Team

Anton Marchukov
Senior Software Engineer - RHEV CI - Red Hat