[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] About the way Kimchi deals with services (libvirt, nfs, etc)

Daniel H Barboza danielhb at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Feb 17 11:17:17 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I am working in a nfs related bug where kimchi hungs up if the nfs
service stops for some reason while creating a NFS pool. I have a very
similar situation Power-only with another service.

My idea at first was to verify the service status every time we request
a specific service. This could work for actions that requires specific
services, such as NFS. However, for this approach make sense, we should
verify the status of libvirt for all the operations that depend of it.
We would flood the code with "if (libvirt.service is active) "
conditionals do to pretty much anything.

Thus, I am creating this RFC to ask you: how can we handle Kimchi
dependencies on external services in a neat, clean way? Mark suggested
to use systemd, for example.

Thanks!