[Kimchi-devel] About the author information in Kimchi source code

Shu Ming shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Feb 25 08:51:45 UTC 2014

Hi,

As you have seen, we have author information in Kimchi source code to
specially honour the writer of the original source files and the
succeeding writers with substantial change. Unfortunately, I found the
authors in some files were updated without any substantial change. One
recent example about this is "src/kimchi/model/debugreports.py", the
author was changed to "Aline Manera" and the original author was gone.
And this change was introduced by "refactor model: Create a separated
model for debug report resource" that got a new file "debugreports.py"
split from another huge file without much change. I don't think this
split was deserved to change the author in the new file. Then, how do we
define what is "substantial change". I would say it is a new feature
changing the file with more than 1/3 of the total lines of code. It is a
not necessary a hard rule, but it is obvious that code split should not
be deserved to have a new author for the file.