[Kimchi-devel] Changing graphics type, passwd and validto params

Brent Baude bbaude at redhat.com
Sat Sep 6 13:10:53 UTC 2014

Hi Folks,

I have a patch ready that deals with the graphics elements in kimchi.
First, I have added serial console as a graphics type along with the
existing vnc and spice options.

Secondly, I have added the ability to edit the graphics type on a cold
guest.  You can switch between the platform appropriate options and the
next time you boot the vm, it will take effect.  One issue I am hitting
in completing this function is the recently added options for password
and validto time parameters.  Neither of these are in the UI but can be
set via a curl request evidently.

Where I would like some input from the team is around how to handle
these in the case of changing the graphics type. The passwd and validto
options are only applicable to vnc and spice, so these options will not
be preserved if the user changes to serial console.  That said, what are
people's expectations on saving these values (if they are set) when
switching between spice and vnc?

I believe the current function will set the validto to 30 seconds if the
passwd is set but no validto is provided.  Given that the validto is
intended to be a short time, should I just set the new validto to 30
seconds as well?  Should I just take the current validto and set it the
same in the new graphics definition?  Since the function is not in the
GUI, should I discard both?  And finally, is there a value for "never"
for validto?

Right now, my current line of thinking is this:

Because the passwd and validto is not in the GUI, I should discard the
values when switching the graphics type unless there is a 'never' value
already set.  Then I would set both passwd and valueto in the new
graphics type.  My justification for this line of thinking is that if
people know to set these options, then they would know their validto
value has probably expired and both would need to be reset.

Thoughts and input welcome please.

Brent