[Kimchi-devel] Changing graphics type, passwd and validto params

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Sep 16 23:42:15 UTC 2014

On 09/06/2014 10:10 AM, Brent Baude wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a patch ready that deals with the graphics elements in kimchi.
> First, I have added serial console as a graphics type along with the
> existing vnc and spice options.
>
> Secondly, I have added the ability to edit the graphics type on a cold
> guest.  You can switch between the platform appropriate options and the
> next time you boot the vm, it will take effect.  One issue I am hitting
> in completing this function is the recently added options for password
> and validto time parameters.  Neither of these are in the UI but can be
> set via a curl request evidently.
>
> Where I would like some input from the team is around how to handle
> these in the case of changing the graphics type. The passwd and validto
> options are only applicable to vnc and spice, so these options will not
> be preserved if the user changes to serial console.  That said, what are
> people's expectations on saving these values (if they are set) when
> switching between spice and vnc?
>
> I believe the current function will set the validto to 30 seconds if the
> passwd is set but no validto is provided.  Given that the validto is
> intended to be a short time, should I just set the new validto to 30
> seconds as well?  Should I just take the current validto and set it the
> same in the new graphics definition?  Since the function is not in the
> GUI, should I discard both?  And finally, is there a value for "never"
> for validto?

IMO I'd expect the passoword and validto should migrate (as is) to the
new console type.
By as is I mean, if the user is *only* updating the console type, those
values should migrate as they are.
But user can also change the console type and the password (or validto)
in the same request, so in this case we need to apply the new values,

I think the current implementation does not allow user to reset the
validto option, ie, once set it needs to have a value.
We should change this behavior to allow resetting validto. (Resetting
this option needs your "never")