[Kimchi-devel] Managing PyPi dependencies (libsass)

Samuel Henrique De Oliveira Guimaraes samuel.guimaraes at eldorado.org.br
Mon Oct 5 19:13:22 UTC 2015

Hi team,

I've tried to add libsass in the project conf files since we need this library to build the new-ui in Wok. Turns out there isn't any libsass package in Fedora & OpenSUSE repositories. I came with three possible solutions to install this ui build-only dependency:

Soloution 1:
-Install PyPi manager (Python Package Index)
-Install libsass using pypi during Kimchi/Wok setup (pip install libsass);

Solution 2:
-Install NVM;
-Install NodeJS and NPM;
-Install NodeJS libsass port during Kimchi/Wok setup (npm install -g libsass);

Solution 3:
-Change .gitignore to include the CSS files that were supposed to be generated by Libsass and if the dev/contributor want to edit the CSS files, instruct him/her to manually install libsass.

BTW, with solution 2 we could also benefit from Bower (a front-end package manager that I already mentioned few e-mails ago in the ML) that could install Bootstrap Sass and Bootstrap-Select Sass sources in the dev/contributor machine. i.e. no need for "src/vendor" folder, it also ensures that the devs are using the correct version of any of these libraries and we could extend its use to other things like JS libs (jQuery-UI, jQuery, Bootstrap JS) and UI tests (ESLint, Browsersync.io).

In the meantime I'm sticking with solution 3 until the new-ui CSS is not complete.

Regards,
Samuel