[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] Add support for Macvtap and Linux Bridge

Walter Niklaus niklaus at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Oct 15 15:12:02 UTC 2015

On 15.10.2015 16:49, Aline Manera wrote:

> On 15/10/2015 11:36, Daniel Henrique Barboza wrote:
>>

>> On 10/15/2015 10:15 AM, Ramon Medeiros wrote:
>>> Kimchi today creates network pool using macvtap. Now, we want the
>>> user to choose if it want Linux Bridge or macvtap.
>>>
>>> If you want to understand the pros and cons of this features, we can
>>> see here:
>>> https://github.com/kimchi-project/kimchi/wiki/Create-guest-network
>>>
>>> Proposal:
>>>
>>> Add "mode" option when creating a network pool.
>>>
>>> If macvtap is choosed, keep the actual procedure.
>>>
>>> If bridge is choosed, create linux bridge using net commands(brctl)
>>> and create network pool pointing to the new bridge.
>>>
>>> Create tests for this.
>>>

>> I approve this proposal, but perhaps we can rely on Ginger to do the
>> linux bridge? I am worried about having both kimchi and ginger
>> messing with the network interfaces.
>>

> I understand your concern, Daniel! But (I hope) it will be the single
> feature in which Kimchi needs to change the host configuration.
Aline, Daniel, I'm concerned as well here about the potential conflicts
and I think we may have the same issue with VLAN devices.
I don't know how to distinguish if a bridge or VLAN device was created
via Host- or via Guest-Management and therefore we may list and expose
the Guest-Management bridges or VLANs in the Host-Networking area,
assuming the Host Admin knows not to touch them. He has anyhow lots of
tools on his hands to do harm if he is not acting carefull :-)
Can we base on such an assumption ?