[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] Changes to "disks" attribute of template creation API to support s390 architecture

Chandra Shekhar Reddy Potula chandra at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Aug 11 10:45:19 UTC 2016

On 8/11/16 12:24 AM, Daniel Henrique Barboza wrote:
> Hi Pooja,
>
> I think option (2) is less intrusive and is easier to rollback when/if
> libvirt for s390x
> start supporting storage pools. However, isn't it too restrictive? If
> I understood it
> right this would mean that the disks would be created always in the
> default path.
>
> Also, as I said in the other RFC, do not take my word as a 'go ahead'
> because I am
> not the official Kimchi maintainer and Aline's opinion may differ from
> mine.

Default template config file (template.conf) at the moment supports
addition of disks via only storage pool.
In case of platform s390x, storage pools are not fully supported. By
default right now IMG file’s for storage are supported. As per my
understanding this option would still valid in case of other platforms
too, if user interested in creating IMG file for storage in the
specified path.

Hence, template config file can have another option which can contain
additional parameter called path;

# Storage path used to handle the guest IMG files
#path =
  /var/lib/libvirt/images/

Now using of this option can be limited to s390x in the first place.
Once it is stabilized and if works well on the other platforms, we can
extend this option.

 From s390x point of view I would recommend the following:
   a. by default path can be presented from the UI.
   b. user can provide pool over path if he/she interested in.
   c. If both options are present path can be can be given priority over
the pool.
   d. In any case we can mandate one option.

Regards
Chandra