[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] [Wok] Feature: User Activity Log

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Feb 10 14:36:52 UTC 2016

On 02/05/2016 06:51 PM, Lucio Correia wrote:
> User Activity Log functionality
> -------------------------------
> Host admin wants to have access to all actions performed by Wok users,
> either through API, web user interface, with the option to download
> User Acitivity Log in a text file.
>

> REST API
> --------
> Only one API will be exposed:
> - GET /logs - Collection of log entries for all installed plugins.
> Examples of filtering:
> /logs?plugin=kimchi - All log entries for Kimchi plugin
> /logs?user=admin - All log entries from admin user
> /logs?request=PUT - All log entries relative to PUT requests
> /logs?date=20160110 - All Jan 10th's log entries
>

> Backend design
> --------------
> - Define activity texts for each currently implemented activity of all
> plugins
> - Implement method to retrieve the activity texts in Wok and all plugins
> - Log events to a JSON file in the host file system. Each user request
> received by Wok will generate an entry in the respective log file.
> Fields to be saved for each entry: plugin, datetime, user, request
> type (PUT, POST, GET, DELETE), activity text (i.e. "create guest
> 'vm-sample'")
> - Implement code for retrieving and filtering log events by the fields
> above
>

> Web User interface design
> Create a new tab: "User Activity" - available only to Wok admins

I'd suggest to create a tab for Wok and name it as "Wok configuration"
or something like that.

As in future, we have plans to add more features to this tab, such as
user authorization, authentication method, enable/disable plugins, etc.
So, in that case, the 'User log activity" would be one of the sections
in this tab.

We can follow what Ginger does with the expanded/collapsed areas.