[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] [Wok] Feature: User Activity Log

Walter Niklaus niklaus at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Feb 10 15:58:04 UTC 2016

This is a great new feature:  +1

I have one question on the backend side section.

On 10.02.2016 15:36, Aline Manera wrote:

> On 02/05/2016 06:51 PM, Lucio Correia wrote:
>> User Activity Log functionality
>> -------------------------------
>> Host admin wants to have access to all actions performed by Wok
>> users, either through API, web user interface, with the option to
>> download User Acitivity Log in a text file.
>>

>> REST API
>> --------
>> Only one API will be exposed:
>> - GET /logs - Collection of log entries for all installed plugins.
>> Examples of filtering:
>> /logs?plugin=kimchi - All log entries for Kimchi plugin
>> /logs?user=admin - All log entries from admin user
>> /logs?request=PUT - All log entries relative to PUT requests
>> /logs?date=20160110 - All Jan 10th's log entries
>>

>> Backend design
>> --------------
>> - Define activity texts for each currently implemented activity of
>> all plugins
>> - Implement method to retrieve the activity texts in Wok and all plugins
>> - Log events to a JSON file in the host file system. Each user
>> request received by Wok will generate an entry in the respective log
>> file. Fields to be saved for each entry: plugin, datetime, user,
>> request type (PUT, POST, GET, DELETE), activity text (i.e. "create
>> guest 'vm-sample'")
>> - Implement code for retrieving and filtering log events by the
>> fields above

Are we planning with any archiving or wrap-around feature for the JSON
file ? If we are simply accumulating the entries in the same file, I'm
concerned that at a certain point we may end with a huge file and run
into performance issues.
As a start we could define a simple wrap-around mechanism and leave the
responsibilty for archiving to the administrator.