[Kimchi-devel] Minor Issue with Deb packages on Ubuntu 16.4LTS

WK wkmail at bneit.com
Mon Apr 24 22:54:39 UTC 2017

This was what my guys downloaded. Soon after your announcement of the
latest version.

I believe the actual file name was $name-latest.deb but we renamed them
and keep them in a folder

-rw-r--r--. 1 ansible ansible 344840 Apr  6 09:59 ginger.2.4.0-0.deb
-rw-r--r--. 1 ansible ansible 251116 Apr  6 09:59 ginger-base.2.3.0.deb
-rw-rw-r--. 1 ansible ansible      0 Apr 15 15:18 INSTALL_NGINX_FIRST
-rw-r--r--. 1 ansible ansible 570058 Apr  6 09:59 kimchi.2.4.0-0.deb
-rw-r--r--. 1 ansible ansible 486574 Apr  6 09:59 wok.2.4.0-0.deb

Obviously the touch file is a reminder to the admin involved to get
NGINX installed prior to starting.

We generally install wok,ginger, ginger-base then kimchi. in that order.

Since these files are out of band, we install them via

dpkg -i  ./$file.deb  (have to be specific on the deb file otherwise you
get the old version out of the repo)

then follow up with

apt-get install -f install

to get the deps.

One thing we always notice is that apt doesn't seem to recognize that
ginger is already installed depending upon how you search

Note: the 1.3 version listed (but not installed) yet 2.4 is installed,
recognized as 2.4 on the wok home page and works fine.

# apt search ginger
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
ginger/xenial 1.3.0.1-0ubuntu1 i386
   Host management plugin to Kimchi

ginger-base/now 2.3.0 all [installed,local]
   Ginger Base is an open source base host management plugin for Wok
(Webserver Originated from Kimchi), that provides an intuitive web panel
with common tools for configuring and managing the Linux systems.

but if you search for "wok" you do see the 2.4

# apt search wok
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done

ginger/now 2.4.0 all [installed,local]
   Ginger plug-in for Wok - Webserver Originated from Kimchi

ginger-base/now 2.3.0 all [installed,local]
   Ginger Base is an open source base host management plugin for Wok
(Webserver Originated from Kimchi), that provides an intuitive web panel
with common tools for configuring and managing the Linux systems.

wok/now 2.4.0 all [installed,local]
   Wok - Webserver Originated from Kimchi

And if you search for kimchi, 2.4 isn't recognized at all and you lose
ginger 2.4 again.

# apt search kimchi
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
ginger/xenial 1.3.0.1-0ubuntu1 i386
   Host management plugin to Kimchi

ginger-base/now 2.3.0 all [installed,local]
   Ginger Base is an open source base host management plugin for Wok
(Webserver Originated from Kimchi), that provides an intuitive web panel
with common tools for configuring and managing the Linux systems.

kimchi/xenial 1.5.0-0ubuntu1 i386
   HTML5 based management tool for KVM

wok/now 2.4.0 all [installed,local]
   Wok - Webserver Originated from Kimchi

Again these are clean MINIMAL installs from ISO.

We rely on the apt-get -f install to pick up all the dependancies, which
works fine (assuming you first install nginx).

-bill