Adding a project to oVirt

Carl Trieloff cctrieloff at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 13:56:35 UTC 2011

On 09/12/2011 05:02 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 09/12/2011 03:46 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:

>>> What is a "published API"?  Does the board vote on what constitutes a
>>> published API, or does any API that is published by an accepted
>>> project automatically become an oVirt published API?
>>>

>> I was thinking of votes in term of VDSM, the Admin REST API. or we want
>> to add a reporting API etc. not the contents, just which team drives it,
>> and that it is an agreed point we 'support' with some or other ABI.
>>
>> We should define that out a bit more.
>
> I was trying to understand how something like QEMU would fit into oVirt.
>
> Since this requires that the each project consumes or provides a
> supported API, QEMU exposes an API that it supports (QMP), but it's
> not published through oVirt (or would it be?).  oVirt Engine consumes
> it via a very indirect path (through VDSM, then through libvirt, and
> then QMP).

that is why I phrased it provides or consume directly or indirectly, to
cover these cases. That should cover things like QEMU or other modules
down the stack.  It also allow for someone to build a proxy or something
else ontop of the REST API, and then have a project that uses that
project would also be able to be included.

The key is that engine is the 'glue' project and then we want to be able
to relate all project to it, either on top of the engine, or under it.

> I don't think Apache has any real requirement that projects under
> Apache.org integrates with apache directly, right?  Maybe it would be
> best if we avoided being overly specific here.

No, Apache has not such rule

> How does Eclipse handle this?

Eclipse is the model here we want to use for this part. They have a set
of frameworks, a core platform which also ships as RCP (the morel
equivalent of or engine) and then a set of API. They also have an arch
list.  All projects have to:

- integrate with the core framework (effectively RCP)  {this means
cut/copy/ paste etc etc all work between the projects for example so
between WTP and STP even those there is zero overlap in dev between
these projects or between WTP and any 3rd party plugin}
    then optionally support additional API's

- some projects also create API's for consumption, there is an arch team
that coordinates and agrees which projects expose project wide
supportable API's

The second rule is that each project must support the release schedule.
the project is free to choose what it is going to put onto the 'release
train' as they call it

They have a few more rules, but I think we only need these two to get
what we need to keep oVirt consistent and simple. As we mature we can as
needed.

I'll try find some docs on it and mail out the link for reference.

Carl.