[Users] ovirt-node on Gentoo

Jared Sutton jpsutton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 04:40:04 UTC 2011

I noticed the same things when installing on ArchLinux.  I also noticed
that vdsm is doing things like re-configuring the network configuration,
but it clearly uses redhat-specific methods (like modifying the files in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/).  I see two possible solutions:

1. Create different support scripts for different distros (not a great
solution, clearly).
2. Make the scripts as generic as possible, and use in-script logic to
determine the currently-running distro (take a look at VirtualBox's vboxweb
start-up script, for example; it has quite a bit of this type of logic).

For the network configuration issue, would it be realistic to rely on a
network abstraction layer, such as NetworkManager or Wicd, since they
operate across multiple distros?

Jared

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Dimitrije Zivkovic <dimitrije.ziv at gmail.com