[Users] ovirt vs RHEV-M

Andrew Cathrow acathrow at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 11:58:50 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

oVirt includes the HTML based web admin UI, it's still a work in progress, some areas haven't been completed yet but are under active development.
RHEV includes a tech-preview version of web admin but also has a WPF based admin console, this is a .NET application, it's fully featured and stable. In the next downstream release we'll remove the WPF admin and replace it with the completed web admin.
There are some other proprietary, 3rd party licensed components in RHEV for example the USB remoting support uses a 3rd party solution. In all these cases we're working to replace these, for example we've recently finished work upstream on remote USB 2.0 support in both KVM and Spice and we'll be working on migrating the code to use the new native components.
Other differences include things like packaging, installing rhev is just "yum install rhevm".

As a community we are still working on completing and packaging oVirt ready for an upstream release, you'll see more discussions going on about this on-list.
Right now working with oVirt will give you a good idea about where the project is going and a something to develop on but right now is not ready for production deployment.

If you want to try out RHEV then you'll need a RHEV subscription (not included in RHEL) we have eval subscriptions, ping me off list if you'd like me to arrange one.

Aic