[Users] Has anyone got a working script that could allow me to get a URL to connect to using virt-viewer under windows or for setting up vnc.

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Wed Jun 6 22:14:33 UTC 2012

On 06/06/2012 03:13 PM, David Jaša wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> This is a problem:
>
> 1 a) the active x plugin for windows/ie is not yet released.
Yep I know.  I tired to work around the issue by creating a fedora VM
for people to VNC to however spicec aborts with the following error.

1339005616 INFO [11312:11312] Application::main: starting 0.8.3
1339005616 ERROR [11312:11312] main: unhandled exception: Unsupported
visual for screen

That suggest to me that spicec wants a real frame buffer not a virtual
one.  I am really open to suggestions for windows users to be able to
console to a VM?  That is why I am looking for a script something that
can be run external of ovirt that can set a password and give them a URL
that can be used by VNC or virt-viewer?

> 1 b) the XPI plugin is linux-only (and effectively firefox-only but I
> think that patches for Chrome/Webkit compatibility will be welcome)
Works fine under Fedora inside a virtualbox VM.  So I am guessing it
works fine in a bare metal install.

> 2) for Ubuntu, you'd need at least first of these two geting merged in
> Debian and then wait half year for Ubuntu to leech it:
> (the second is technically not necessary but given that spicec is being
> discontinued and all the development takes there...)
>
> Alternatively, you could get spice-xpi for ubuntu from PPAs.
Please send me a link to a working PPA for ubuntu?  I have tried
https://launchpad.net/~jasonbrooks/+archive/ppa under both 11.10 and
12.04 under both 32bit and 64bit Versions and both just error out.  Sent
the Aurthur an email reporting the issue and never heard back.

> David
>

> Robert Middleswarth píše v St 06. 06. 2012 v 14:50 -0400:
>> I like spice under Fedora but most of my users use windows.  A few use
>> Kubuntu none user Fedora at this time.  I like ovirt and have been
>> testing it for some time.  3.1 looks really good and all my tests have
>> been working well if I can fix the console issues we would be bring
>> ovirt into production but until we can find a way for the admin team to
>> be able to access console oVirt is a no go.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Robert

Trust me I have read up on the issue unless everyone in my group wants
to keep a fedora VM to access the console on there system there doesn't
seem to be a way for an admin to console to a VM currently.  This will
change at some point but until there is a workaround available for
windows users or users of other distro's then Red Hat based ones oVirt
isn't really usable.

That is why I am asking if anyone has created a script I can use.
Something that will allow me to run select a VM and have it assign
assign a password and display a URL that can be copied / pasted into
either virt-viewer or vnc.  I have seen piece of it in the various
lists.  Suggesting that something could be done using the rest, sdk, or
cli api's.

I have seen some info on getting VNC to work but nothing organized and I
would lose all spice support if I did but getting VNC to work is a
possibility's.  Although my preference would be something still using
spice so spice-xpi would continue to work and over time the need for the
hack would reduce and more OS's gain support.

So that brings me back to my original question.  Does anyone have a
scripts or at least a string of commands I can tie together to spit out
a URL I can use to connect using Virt-Viewer preferred or something for VNC.

Thanks
Robert