[Users] Setting up logical storage networks

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Wed Jun 20 23:00:17 UTC 2012

On 06/20/2012 11:38 AM, Trey Dockendorf wrote:
> Thanks for the response, see responses inline.
>
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Mike Kolesnik<mkolesni at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please see reply in-line.
>>
>>> In ovirt-engine-3.1 I'm attempting to setup the base logical networks
>>> and have run into 2 major issues.
>> Are you using cluster version 3.0 or 3.1?
>>
> I have been using 3.1 as it's the default.  Is the different just the
> API updates?  All I could really find related to 3.0 vs 3.1 pertaining
> to networking was this document
> http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Design/Network/SetupNetworks
>
>>> The first is I'm only seeing a Gateway field for the management
>>> interface.  When I went to create a network for VMs (on seperate
>>> subnet) I did not see a place to specify gateway (see img
>>> ovirt_network_missing_gateway.png).  Right now my management port is
>>> on a 100mbps network and the bridged devices live on a 1Gbps network
>>> (net140 in cluster).  Is there a reason the gateway would be missing?
>>> I've attached ovirt_networks.png that shows all the interfaces on my
>>> host.
>> Unfortunately, oVirt supports setting only the default gateway of the Host
>> (This is the field you saw in the management network).
>>
>> We could theoretically use initscripts' static routing files, but that is left for
>> future development.
>>
> So for now, is it then easier to just run all public interfaces
> through the same subnet/gateway?  The main reason to run management
> via 100Mbps and everything else 1Gbps was that our campus is out of
> IPs so we're attempting to conserve on the usage of gigabit IPs.
>
>>> The second issue I'm having is creating a storage network.  I created
>>> 2 logical networks , private0 and private1.  I left the "VM Network"
>>> unchecked on both as my assumption was that dicates if they can be
>>> added to VMs.  Since these are only for hosts to connect to the iSCSI
>>> I didn't think that was necessary.  When I set the IP information
>>> (private_network0.png) and select Ok the save goes through but when I
>>> edit the interface again the information is gone and the file
>>> ifcfg-eth4 does not have IP information.  This is what I looks like
>>>
>>> DEVICE=eth4
>>> ONBOOT=yes
>>> BOOTPROTO=none
>>> HWADDR=00:1b:21:1d:33:f0
>>> NM_CONTROLLED=no
>>> MTU=9000
Don't edit the ifcfg-eth4 / ifcfg-eth5 file instead edit
ifcfg-logicnetworkname.  Set that to static with a gateway.  And that
won't get over written.  However be warned Linux doesn't like having two
default gateway's.  You might want to review
http://www.centos.org/docs/2/rhl-rg-en-7.2/ch-networkscripts.html and
use static routers.

Thanks
Robert