[Users] impossible to use multiple vlans on a single nic that already contains ovirtmgmt network as a vlan

Nathanaël Blanchet blanchet at abes.fr
Wed Sep 12 16:51:29 UTC 2012

Hi all,

<masayag> suggested me to send this email after our discussion on IRC.

Here is what's happening :
In 3.0, I was used to use one nic for transporting all my vlan network,
and ovirtmgmt was part of these vlans.
in 3.1/vdsm 4.10, I systematically get a ovirt engine error when
attempting to drag a new vlan network to the same nic :
*"Error while executing action Setup Networks: Internal oVirt Engine Error"*
When looking at the host vdsm log I find this :
*"Setup attached more than one network to nic em1, some of which aren't
vlans"*

So it tells me that the ovirtmgmt bridge is not a vlan and it can add an
second vlan network to this card because of this.
But this is an error. ovirtmgmt is a vlan network I created by myself :
# vi ifcfg-ovirtmgmt

NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
HWADDR="44:1E:A1:3D:35:92"
BOOTPROTO="static"
IPADDR=10.34.30.155
PREFIX=24
DNS1=193.52.69.50
GATEWAY=10.34.30.2
DEVICE="ovirtmgmt"
ONBOOT="yes"
TYPE=Bridge

[root at khamsin ovirt-engine]# brctl show
ovirtmgmt               8000.441ea13d3592       no em1.30
virbr0          8000.000000000000       yes

the dialog box in the DC tells it is a vlan 0, so there is a bug here,
and plus this network management is not editable to change this.
at contrary, we see that the ovirtmgmt is correctlly shown as a vlan in
the host network interfaces :

em1.30 (10.34.30.155)

ovirtmgmt

What can I do to use multiple vlan on a single nic?

--
Nathanaël Blanchet

Supervision réseau
Pôle exploitation et maintenance