[ovirt-users] Is it possible to disable qxl video?

Martin Polednik mpolednik at redhat.com
Mon Jul 11 15:30:53 UTC 2016

On 11/07/16 17:16 +0200, Arman Khalatyan wrote:
>Yes I have a BusID inside the xorg.conf.
>I just tested with virt-manager and indeed it is not a ovirt failure.
>It is something to do with qemu-kvm + nvidia.
>I found here:https://wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough  that nvidia disables
>device when it is running on qemu-kvm is it still the case? to overcome
>that one need to set:
>
>-cpu host,kvm=off
>
>in the command line of qemu.

This applies to GPUs that NVIDIA does not support in virtualized
environments (actually your GTX630). Quadro K2200 and higher
(incl. grid, tesla) should not require masking the hypervisor. It
could be worth to supply dmesg from the host and from the guest so we
could see if there is any apparent failure.

That being said, I have had failures even with supported card that
just stopped at one point. It's worth trying the kvm=off trick.

>I was trying to convert virsh commands to qemu native, but it fails on
>Centos 7 :(
>virsh dumpxml > render.xml
>virsh  domxml-to-native qemu-argv render.xml
>error: internal error: invalid PCI passthrough type 'default'

I usually take the qemu command line from
/var/log/libvirt/qemu/${VM_NAME}, tweak it in vim and launch. Works
even for oVirt VMs (if you can hack around the storage).