[ovirt-users] Changing video memory size

Milan Zamazal mzamazal at redhat.com
Tue Jul 12 08:56:06 UTC 2016

Alexis HAUSER <alexis.hauser at telecom-bretagne.eu> writes:

>> Look for vramMultiplier in osinfo-defaults.properties file.
>> The following formula applies: vram_size = vramMultiplier * vgamem
>> You must restart Engine to apply the new setting.
>
> The only thin I found about it in that file is : os.rhel_7x64.devices.display.vramMultiplier.value = 2

That's right.  You can add similar lines for other OSes as needed.

> I am not sure this file is what I want : from what it seems to only affects
> some parameters at the creation of the OS.
> i.e. if I take an ubuntu but I set it up as RHEL7, it won't have more vram.

Video RAM settings should be applied when a VM is started.  So if you
set your Ubuntu VM as RHEL7 and then start it, it should get 32 MB of
vram (it works for me).

> With centOS7 however (that I have set as RHEL7 at its creation), it has more vram, but not 2*, really more :
> centOS has : "vram_size=33554432" from what qemu says
> and all others VM have 8 instead of...33

If vramMultiplier is not present then a fixed value of 8 MB is used.
If it is present then the formula above applies -- note that vgamem is
16 MB, so vram = 2 * 16 MB = 32 MB is indeed the expected value.