[ovirt-users] Exporting VMs using cinder disks and importing ceph disks from cinder

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Thu Jul 21 14:25:54 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Alessandro De Salvo
<Alessandro.DeSalvo at roma1.infn.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to export VMs using ceph disks on ovirt 4. The export itself
> works, but the disks are not saved in the export domains, only the VM
> definition is stored. Also, I cannot easily re-import them, unless I
> clone the VM instead of importing it, it just fails.
> Cinder itself can backup volumes, if instructed to do so.
> However, let's say I would like to export the machine from an ovirt
> infrastructure and load it into another one passing by the export domain
> and sharing the same underlying ceph cluster. I could easily load the VM
> from the export domain into the second ovirt infrastructure, but how can
> I define the disk, whose volume exists in the cinder instance, in the
> second ovirt? I do not see any obvious way to map an existing cinder
> volume into ovirt, without creating a new disk, which would not be
> helpful.
> As a consequence of all this, in case of problems with the disks, there
> is no way to recover them.
> Any help?

We do not support copying, moving, or exporting disks to/from ceph yet.

You can copy the disks manually from ceph using ceph command line
tools, and qemu-img should also handle them.

After you copy an image, you will a have a raw image that can be
uploaded to new ovirt disk from engine ui (new image upload feature).

Nir