[ovirt-users] NAT/internal Networks in ovirt?

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Thu Nov 3 10:14:02 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 05:22:43PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm migrating off a vmware-server infrastructure and one thing that
> provided was a NAT and a HostOnly network by default.  I'm trying to
> replicate this (at least the NAT part) in ovirt.
>
> A few years ago people were asking about setting up oVirt with
> NAT/Internal networks, e.g.
> http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2012-April/001751.html
>
> I also found
> https://www.ovirt.org/develop/developer-guide/vdsm/hook/network-nat/
>
> Has this at all been integrated in the intervening years?  Or is NAT
> networking still completely a manual process?  One would think this would
> be a relatively common interface, where you want to have a VM that isn't
> directly connected to the internet but still has internet access via a
> (virtual) NAT?

I'm afraid that we have not advanced this any further.
Main conceptual problem with the suggested manual process is that VMs
behind NAT cannot be reliably migrated to another host.

I hope that our current work, of attaching VMs onto an OVN-defined
overlay network (see
https://www.ovirt.org/blog/2016/11/ovirt-provider-ovn/ ) would satisfy
most of what you need of a NATted network, and more.

For HostOnly networks, btw, you can create dummy interfaces
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2015-December/036897.html
and then attach them to a network.

Regards,
Dan.